Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

User avatarSolidC
Poster
NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Rec7
Favorite Ammo: SSA or Hornady

Lube preferences?

Postby SolidC » Sun 08 May, 2011 1:52 am

Tried Birchwood casey bore scrubber 2 in 1 to clean and Rem oil to lube but the oil is too thin and just beads up on the leftover bore scrubber unless I give it a wd-40 bath in between! Needless to say I need a better solution. I've seen a million youtubes on the subject but I like to get my advice from a variety of experienced shooters, and on youtube, any jackass can post anything! So, that having been said, After a day at the range, how do you clean and lube your Rec7? I'm thinking of trying Mobil1 or wheel bearing grease, but being that they represent vastly different viscosities, what are the differences? Could automotive products really work better like I've been reading online? I want to hear from experienced shooters and I wanna hear what works, and what you've tried that doesn't and why. I need a step-by-step of how you clean and lube your gun and why. I realize there are different philosophies on the subject, so I am not expecting a single perfect solution that works for all people in all shooting conditions, but I need to narrow my field of "stuff to try". Please be detailed and please be experienced. Thanks in advance! SolidC
"Barrett cannot legally sell any of its products to lawbreakers. Therefore, since California's passing of AB50, the state is not in compliance with the US Constitution's 2nd and 14th Amendments, and we will not sell nor service any of our products to any government agency of the State of California." Ronnie Barrett

User avatarRangeRat
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Lube preferences?

Postby RangeRat » Mon 09 May, 2011 7:37 am

Use of an automotive lubricant in your rifle is not recommended, except as a last resort. Especially grease. Grease of any kind when used on surfaces that rub together, if not sealed, will pick of particles that will turn your "lube" into a lapping compound. Military manuals say to use CLP/Breakfree for cleaning and lubrication. During my time in the Army I followed the procedures in the operators manual and never had a problem, even when firing thousands of blanks. I was in a wide variety of environments during my 9 yrs. I spent lots of time in the winter in Germany and in the desert heat of summer. TM 9-1005-319-10 is what you should read.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

User avatarSolidC
Poster

Postby SolidC » Mon 09 May, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks Rangerat, sounded a little strange to me but a few youtubes really swear by it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g . Seems like grease might be ok, if you clean it all the time, but I'll probably try the clp, read a lot about that stuff too, but I thought I'd ask since almost eveyone in this forum seems to have a little more experience than those in the average gun forum. Ever used Militech? I'm curious if this stuff is as good as the hype suggests. Once again, thanks :cheer:
Last edited by SolidC on Tue 10 May, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Barrett cannot legally sell any of its products to lawbreakers. Therefore, since California's passing of AB50, the state is not in compliance with the US Constitution's 2nd and 14th Amendments, and we will not sell nor service any of our products to any government agency of the State of California." Ronnie Barrett

Ridz

Postby Ridz » Mon 09 May, 2011 7:14 pm

I have been using Sentry Solution for a little over a year now and am very pleased with the products. I first read about them in "The Ultimate Sniper" by Maj. John L. Plaster
http://www.sentrysolutions.com/

I tested them out in my tactical solutions 22lr AR first to see how they performed and I'll tell you what, I can now shoot cheap ammo that I wasn't able to use prior to the treatment. I've treated all of my weapons with the solution and have had improvements in accuracy and it cut the cleaning time down substantially. I've purchase the Armorer's Kit and haven't used anything else since. Check out the website for all the technical info

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Mon 09 May, 2011 11:32 pm

SolidC wrote:Tried Birchwood casey bore scrubber 2 in 1 to clean and Rem oil to lube but the oil is too thin and just beads up on the leftover bore scrubber unless I give it a wd-40 bath in between! Please be detailed and please be experienced. Thanks in advance! SolidC

Detailed AND Experienced is kinda like [add your favorite exercise, here] ...... :rofl:
Anyway......

CLP is good... Even tho, it's a multi-purpose solution for military grade weapons... BUT, it's a good "one step" solution.

Militech is good also....
Butch's Bore Shine is good.
Barrett's Bore Cleaner is good.

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber; Rem oil AND WD-40 are NOT GOOD to use in your bore..... :nono:

RemOil has Teflon and WD-40 is much worse - It's a water displacement product and VERY BAD to use in your rifle bores. RemOil is OK to use on actions, etc. but I'd only use it on parts that don't get HOT.....

Many other products are good also. Some swear by Motor Oil, etc. Frankly, I've used most, but find that most gents clean their "Bores" to the extreme. More damage is done to the barrel crowns with overzealous cleaning than by firing 1,000s of rounds. Go easy on the bore cleaning... A seasoned bore shoots better.....

Tests have been done on the AR platforms shooting up to 10,000s rounds without a single cleaning and the rifles still shoot VERY well. So..... just go easy on the bore(s)... JMO.

General Rule: Unless you're in the "sand pit" grease works best (rather than oils) on actions that have metal to metal bearing surfaces. Actions that run "hot" will burnoff/evaporate the oils, so grease works better in those types of firearms..
:cool:
ImageImageImageImage

User avatarSolidC
Poster

Postby SolidC » Tue 10 May, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks Shadow, theres no lack of folks dispensing advice online, but I figure on this forum, most guys have big bore Barretts and that usually means a more serious shooter. I weigh the opinions I read here much heavier than elsewhere on the net. So I guess my next question is would you do anything different on a piston gun such as the Rec7 than on a regular gas-impingement gun since the action stays so much cooler and cleaner? How about the piston head? I'm thinking a little drop of oil? I got some Hoppes oil and two different types of grease today. Btw, the wd-40 was just to dissolve the bore cleaner, but i did use rem oil and a dry patch for the bore :D . As far as frequent cleaning, I only shoot about once a month with about 50 or so rounds through my Rec 7, and about 100 each through My Glock 26 and Smith and wesson 67, and I usually clean my guns thouroughly after each trip. Even though were not dealing with corrosive ammo, It just seems like keeping it spic and span would be better than leaving it dirty and only cleaning after reaching a certain round count. Is that wrong? Or are you saying give it a light cleaning with a few patches and oil after every trip and scrub it out every 4th or 5th trip or something like that? My Rec7 is my first rifle and second only to my girlfriend as far as things I treasure :D . Thanks for helping me fast-track it out of "noobdom".

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Tue 10 May, 2011 3:58 pm

After noticing your new Avatar, I can't read or comprehend what you just posted.

I'll try again after my eyes readjust to the text.
:mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage

Fiddler's Green
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: M-28 Davy Crockett

Postby Fiddler's Green » Wed 11 May, 2011 2:07 pm

With an avatar like that, I would recommend astroglide...

Seriously, the advice that you received so far is pertinent. The WD-40 is not a good idea for much of anything on a firearm and, if you do, at least follow it with a light coat of something to replace the protective film that the WD-40 will remove. A light coating of oil can be beneficial for the friction parts aft of the cartridge, but most folks leave way too much in the chamber and bore. I've witnessed an oil mist announcing a first round out of the muzzle and even seen brass that was dimpled by lube in the chamber (although that is usually from reloads that had residual sizing lube). These shooters are wasting their cold bore shots, which is typically the most important round I fire (game versus paper, I'm not a serious player).
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've got an old Marlin that I've owned for over 35 years that gets fired 4 times a month and cleaned only once a month (sorta like my old lady). It has no signs of rust or pitting, chambers and feeds reliably, and hasn't washed out the bore and maintains a tight group (unlike the old lady). I wouldn't recommend this as common practice nor do I employ it with the rest of the arsenal, but it does attest that we probably overdo the cleaning regimen (the rifle, not the old lady).

FG

User avatarBarrett1
Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Barrett1 » Thu 12 May, 2011 8:39 am

(echoing Shadow's statement)

Words to remember - Water Displacement... which is what the WD in WD-40 stands for. Long story short, the company was looking for rust preventative properties in a degreaser - IE, not lubrication. On the 40th try, they got the recipe right.

See, history is fun.

davidedale55

Postby davidedale55 » Thu 12 May, 2011 10:29 am

Preferences are: TW25B Grease for the contact areas of the bolt, barrel, and upper; MC-2500 for everywhere else. The TW25B water-based cleaner is excellent . For bore cleaning, "Shooters Choice". If the gun got really dirty or exposed to moisture, I start with a thorough cleaning with CLP. The military spec CLP can be bought in galllon containers and mine has lasted over ten years. CLP has incredible surface adhesion. The SEAL community used it for years in the maritime environment with excellent results. The Air Force uses the "Mil-Comm" products (TW25B, MC 2500; etc in their mini-guns). :idea:
To err is human, to fail to learn from the mistake is stupid.

User avatarBarrett1
Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Barrett1 » Thu 12 May, 2011 10:32 am

FYI: The web store has some TW25B products

Mil-Comm TW25B Grease 4oz Tube
http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/prod ... 193,77.htm

MIL-COMM TW25B GREASE 16.9OZ
http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/prod ... 162,77.htm

MIL-COMM TW25B WEAPON WIPE 10-PACK
http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/prod ... 163,77.htm

User avatarSolidC
Poster

Postby SolidC » Thu 12 May, 2011 4:40 pm

Haha, you know who that is don't you? I'll save you the trouble, it's Phoebe Cates as "Linda Barrett"! in Fast times at Ridgemont high. My Gf didn't dump me when I suggested that as my rifle's name, so it sticks! Btw, I only used WD-40 to dissolve the bore cleaner and flush it out since it caused the rem oil to bead up no matter how long I let it evap. Since WD-40 evaporates semi-quickly, I rinsed it in wd-40 and let it dry overnight under the ceiling fan, then Applied the Rem oil and put only a few hundred rounds through her before figuring out the rem oil was too light which brings me to this post. Funny how all the research i did into rem oil never mentioned what it wasnt good for... ANYhow... Hearing from big-timers like Kevin and Shadow etc... :cheer: ,who have been so helpful to me since I acquired my Rec7 and started posting my questions here, is a real plus that many other manufacturers can't match. Barrett people just tend to be more serious about their guns :D I got a few more questions but I'll start a new thread I guess. Btw, You guys ever find yourself comin' through California (don't worry I won't tell), send me an email and I'll buy you a beer!

sib1948
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 9:32 pm

After much research on cleaning products for my new MRAD, decided on Bore Tech Eliminator for barrel cleaning followed by a few drops of Kroil to lightly lube the bore between shooting. I understand the Barrett cleaner is the Bore Tech Eliminator with a different label. Have not yet had a chance to try this yet, but got these tips from many sources. As you found, it is certainly very confusing and obviously many well made weapons can handle almost anything, but most of us want longevity. Regions with high humidity obviously require more rust protection. You rarely see a rusted out vehicle here in Arizona. 8-)

sib1948
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Sat 20 Oct, 2012 8:29 am

After several months with my MRAD and RW Snyder custom Rem 700r 308 and much research, I have to agree with Shadow. I use Bore Tech bore guide (others will do, but essential). I shoot 1-2 times a week and only clean when accuracy starts to drop. Then a few patches with Bore Tech Eliminator with non brass jag until clean and occasional nylon brush, avoiding the crown. Patches should not be too tight! Follow that with patch with 1-2 drops of Kano Kroil, then use chamber mop to clean chamber. I lube the bolt lugs and clean bolt more frequently using a grease from Bore Tech. Both guns continue to function flawlessly with 0.5 MOA accuracy. I agree that less is more as far as cleaning to extend barrel life. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

BADDFROGG
Favorite Firearm: Barrett Rec7
Favorite Ammo: Hornady,BlackHills,

Postby BADDFROGG » Sun 10 Feb, 2013 6:12 pm

How about Ballistol. I use the non aerosol. I use it on my Robinson XCR 6.8SPC and AMD-65 7.62x39. Works great and is cost effective.I live in Florida and in the summer humidity can be a problem. I currently have on order two Barrett REC7. One in 6.8SPC and one in 5.56. I am a big fan of Barrett Firearms for many years. I even sold my FN Scar 16s. The Scar shot great and was light like a .22.But its not made in the USA and the stock felt too flimsy.As for preferences in lube. I swear by Ballistol.

Return to REC7