Aurora Sportsman's Club (2009/2010--RETIRED)

Fifty Friendly Places to Shoot

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Aurora Sportsman's Club (2009/2010--RETIRED)

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 10:10 am

Last edited by LeoAtrox on Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Re: North-Central Illinois Range--Aurora Sportsman's Club

Postby darksoldier300 on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:03 am

too bad you have to be a member....id like to come check it out once its ready
hope for the best prepare for the worst
darksoldier300
Board Veteran

Favorite Firearm: 82a1 allways will be

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:07 am

darksoldier300 wrote:too bad you have to be a member....id like to come check it out once its ready

While it is a private club, there are events which are open to the public. The web site will list some of these events that are open to the public (on the left side of the Home page). And if you just want some free shoot time, give me a holler and maybe we can work something out. Rest assured, I will update this thread when the Waterman site is open. I'm excited to check out the 600 yard line myself.
"Stupid can happen anywhere at any time; so you best be prepared for it."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby darksoldier300 on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:19 am

i havent shoot past 300 yards and i have 2 50 bmg rifles.....you can see why i would have an itch to move out a lil :lol:
hope for the best prepare for the worst
darksoldier300
Board Veteran

Favorite Firearm: 82a1 allways will be

UPDATE on Waterman Location

Postby LeoAtrox on Thu 07 May, 2009 8:34 am

We're moving out! The old property at Sugar Grove has been sold! We have to be out by June 30, and our board of directors is planning opening ceremonies for the Waterman location on July 4. I expect that facilities to be quite crude to start with, but we'll be shooting there in July regardless of what facilities are available.

The club is asking for volunteers to build some privy toilets and skeet houses, so we're definitely on the move. (The Sugar Grove location has a restroom in the clubhouse; and I'm sure Waterman will have one as well, once the clubhouse is constructed.)

The Waterman ranges will have 25, 50, 100, 200, and 600 yard ranges for rifle/pistol/slug shooting. There will be acres of space for skeet, trap, and archery as well. I can't wait to start doing some long range shooting! :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY on Thu 07 May, 2009 1:30 pm

Sounds like fun wish i lived closer i would love to shoot 600 yds.
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae
DEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 1:27 pm

Just an update/reminder. The grand opening for Waterman is July 4, 2009. The 600 yard range is coming up really fast, and I'm very excited. I haven't really got anything to reach out at that distance right now (waiting on a .308) but I know a lot of you do.

If you're within day-trip range to Waterman, IL, this is a GREAT time to consider membership with the Aurora Sportsmen's Club.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:38 pm

The company I work for has a huge Facality at waterman!!! I may be employed there someday I would def. join!!!!!!!
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison
Stitch
Continuing Member

NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Springfield M1911 Gov't

Postby LeoAtrox on Fri 26 Jun, 2009 8:33 am

Had our last meeting at Sugar Grove last night. They'll retire the colors at Sugar Grove in the evening of July 3, and then raise them the morning of July 4 at the Waterman rifle ranges. Then they'll do some talking, there'll be some sort of flyover ... Then the first rifle and musket shots will be fired (the muzzle stuffers plan to be there with cannon as well) followed by the first trap shoot. And then all ranges are open.

Our opening ceremonies at Waterman will be open to the public, and will be provided for guests. If you are in the Waterman area, drop by July 4.

Just found out that our shooting hours are expanding. Whereas we had to be done at Sugar Grove by legal sunset Sun-Sat, we'll get to fire a bit in the dark at Waterman. I can't remember exactly what the hours are, but all ranges will remain open until a set time each day, rather than dusk. Now I have reason to get NV ... Shoot. I can't afford that!

Oh, and I got confirmation (that I didn't need) that we are .50 BMG friendly. "If you can shoot it in Illinois, you can shoot it here."
Last edited by LeoAtrox on Thu 02 Jul, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Thu 02 Jul, 2009 9:49 am

The club is featured in the local paper. Read it here: http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles ... /index.xml

Of interest (and news to me) is that the new clubhouse and campgrounds should be done "in a couple years" and that the manmade lakes will be stocked with fish. I did not know that. I understood there would be some ability to handle small boats, but fishing would be a neat addition.

From the article:

What: Aurora Sportsmen’s Club dedication of Waterman facility.

When: 9 a.m. Saturday

Where: Parking is available off Rueff Road between Leland and Waterman roads in Waterman.

Cost: Rifle ranges and archery are open to the public and free of charge. Trap and skeet shooting and sporting clays have a cost.

Information: Guns are not available for sale or rental. A valid Firearm Owners Identification Card is required. Call 815-264-9000 or visit www.aurorasc.org for more information.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Sat 04 Jul, 2009 9:03 pm

Rainy out today, but we had a blast (well, my buddies and I had about 235 blasts) at the club's grand opening at Waterman. The rifle/pistol ranges turned out really nice, and they'll only get better as we get more time and money for canopies.

And for those of you who love your fifties, there was a Barrett Model 82A1 on the 200 yard line. :headbang:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY on Sun 05 Jul, 2009 2:21 am

Wish i could've made it with my 82 maybe some time in the near future i'll be able to make the trip and check out how far it is and maybe join the club.
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae
DEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Good News and Bad News

Postby LeoAtrox on Wed 26 Aug, 2009 9:43 am

I'll start with the bad news first. The Olypics in 2016 are up in the air for ASC. Supposing Chicago wins the Olympics, there is now a good chance that the venue will be moved to the Governors State University campus (yes, shooting sould then be on a college campus :ohno: ) South of Chicago because the International Shooting Sport Federation "insists" that the venue be no more than one hour away from the Olympic Village (which is planned to be just off Lake Michigan). The original plan was to house the shooters in Aurora anyway, but we'll see how things pan out. The silver lining to this is that, if the shooting is held eslewhere, there will be two more weeks of shooting for club members and guests in the summer of 2016. :| Of course, if Chicago doesn't win its Olympic bid, it won't matter.

The good news is this: If you missed out on the Independence Day open house at ASC, you're getting another shot (no pun intended). Saturday September 12th, from 10am to 3pm, ASC will be open to the public and free of charge. A valid FOID is required for Illinois residents of any age except when the individual is a minoor and accompanied by a parent or guardian with a valid FOID. (Non-Illinois residents must be able to own and operate a firearm legally in their states of residence.)

Check-in is at the Aurora Sportsmen’s Club Main Office at 7858 Preserve Road in Waterman, IL. To get to the office from the traffic light at route 30 and Elm St in Waterman, drive south on Elm approximately 1/2 mile to Preserve road. Turn west on Preserve Road, the office is approximately 1 mile west on the south side of the road. (Elm becomes Waterman Road)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Fri 04 Sep, 2009 3:11 pm

A few non-BMG news items:

ASC's first 3 Gun Action Shooting Sport Event - Saturday Sept 12, 2009 from 9:00am to 4:00pm on the 100 yd range. $10 to participate. Firearms (with or without optics): AR-15 rifle or other AR-15 “like” semi-auto with 2 removable magazines, Semi-auto Pistol with 2 removable magazines, and Pump or Semi-auto Shotgun (with full or tighter chokes recommended).

ASC's second Practical Rifle/Carbine competition is Saturday, September 26th.

ASC's first Zombie Shoot will be on the Saturday prior to Halloween (10/24). Details are still being worked out, but ZombieAmmo.com will be sponsoring the event by providing targets and perhaps some prizes as well. UPDATE: Zombie Shoot registration opened Wednesday, September 23, and was full on Friday, September 25th. I missed my shot at it this year; but filling up 60 slots in less than 3 days is a win for the Club.

BTW ... While it's not in the planning stages yet, the idea of a long-range and/or "sniper" type competition on the 600 yard range is being floated. We'll wait to see how support is for the 3 Gun and other Action Shooting events first before we determine whether or not to do some sort of a long-range competition. (It could just be long-range bench, or it could be long-range tactical with some intermediate and pistol stuff mixed in. It is totally in the "brainstorming" phase right now.)

:headbang:
Last edited by LeoAtrox on Mon 28 Sep, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

OPEN HOUSE DATES

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 21 Sep, 2009 9:15 am

There are a couple more open houses scheduled as we continue to try increasing our membership:

10 October
14 November

Stop by and check out the club if you're in the area.

DIRECTIONS: http://www.aurorasc.org/index.php?page=waterman
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Next

Return to Ranges