Feedback on Federal (American Eagle) 660 Gr. FMJ 50 BMG

To Feed the Beasts

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

tbuck
Continuing Member

Re: Feedback on Federal (American Eagle) 660 Gr. FMJ 50 BMG

Postby tbuck » Fri 01 May, 2009 1:50 am

If you buy a Power Ball ticket jsut don't cancal mine out.

User avatarSamurai
Site Admin
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: FN LAR Paratrooper
Favorite Ammo: 7.62 mm

Postby Samurai » Fri 01 May, 2009 11:38 am

tbuck wrote:If you buy a Power Ball ticket jsut don't cancal mine out.

I hate when that happens.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People think I'm paranoid because I own guns.
If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".

SEMPER FI

cruzie27

Postby cruzie27 » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 6:49 pm

any word yet on how the ammo shoots?

i am waiting around for my nickles & dimes to pile up enough to get proper glass for my 82,. and i was thinking on one of my days off i should go out and zero my iron sights just for s**** and giggles. however if it is not that accurate of a round i'll wait until i have a good supply of Barrett (X)M33 to zero with.

skeeter
Poster

Postby skeeter » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 2:23 am

I got some Federal Am. Eagle that I returned because it was so tarnished and worse yet deeply dented. That might have been a bad lot that CDNN got. I did just order a case from Palmettostatearmory.com for $369 shipped and they said it was clean and not dented. I have ordered from them before and they can be trusted (so far).
I think you will find that Summit ammo, even the once fired ammo to totally clean and great ammo. Natchez has some for $34 a box of once fired and $39 for new brass. There are lots of good manufacturers like B&B Armory on Gunbroker that have nice ammo too

User avatarDEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 4:37 pm

I have went through about half the 100 round can that i got and so far it is ok for i would say just plinking ammo so you can get some trigger time. I do not think i would use it for compatition or anything of that nature. :cheer:
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae

skeeter
Poster

Postby skeeter » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 2:53 am

I bought a case for $369 shipped from CDNN and when I got it the rounds were heavily tarnished but worse was that out of 100 rounds 15 rounds had what looked like deep gouges, like the brass was folded back on itself in the neck area. To CDNN's credit they issued me a free return shipping label and credited my card.
I then called Palmettostatearmory.com and asked how their ammo was. They said their ammo was not tarnished and had no gouges. I have bought from them mant times and they are great to deal with. I did not original buy from them because they asked $412 shipped but they said they would match CDNN's price. When I got the ammo it was nothing like the CDNN ammo. It was clean and no gouges. I noticed it had grey primer sealant rather than the heavily coated red sealant he CDNN ammo had. Again, I am talking about Federal's American Eagle black box 50BMG ammo.
I also have to say Summits ammo is first class and very clean. I would go with them before Fed. Am. Eagle. They say they keep the tolerances even closer with the once fired L.C. brass than with their new Winchester brass.

tbuck
Continuing Member

Postby tbuck » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 4:52 pm

I have had some problems with some of my 308 match ammo. So I made a call to the company and advised them I use my ammo to save lives. I then found out that several companies trying to keep up with the demand of ammo sales are purchacing bulk ammo from others and putting it in their boxes. I'm not going to say any names but when the ammo doesn't perform up to their normal standards I would question it.

counselor

Postby counselor » Sat 22 May, 2010 9:00 am

How does the Fedral ammo compare to the Barrett ammo?

Ridz

Postby Ridz » Sat 22 May, 2010 8:40 pm

I really like the ferderal for majority of shooting. Had to call up federal to get the BC of the round but they did call me back with the info I needed and with the properly programed BORS, the Federal was shooting 1moa at 725 for me.

User avatarHEAVY-HITTER
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: BARRETT M82A1
Favorite Ammo: roll my own

Postby HEAVY-HITTER » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 8:21 am

I just bought 300 rds of this from CHEAPERTHANDIRT.All of it had Tarnish red spatter
I had to steel wool it and coat it with spray car wax to preserve it.They have a no return
policy.I called Federal got the run around.I will roll my own from now on.$1100.00
could of bought allot of componets.
SEMPER FI

User avatarRFmissile
Continuing Member
Location: The Twilight Zone, need help getting back to the other side!

Postby RFmissile » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 3:41 pm

HEAVY-HITTER wrote:I just bought 300 rds of this from CHEAPERTHANDIRT.All of it had Tarnish red spatter
I had to steel wool it and coat it with spray car wax to preserve it.They have a no return
policy.I called Federal got the run around.I will roll my own from now on.$1100.00
could of bought allot of componets.

I was at the Range a few weeks ago and a guy showed up and parked on the bench next to me. He had a Bohica 50 cal. After he fired his first round, he and his friend were beating on the bolt with a piece of wood and a hammer.

I was shooting my M99 that day with some of my reloads so they asked for my help and opinion. They eventually got the bolt back and the case out. They were shooting some of the Federal ammo and looking at the case they had just fired, it had some sticky black spots on it. I asked if they had cleaned the chamber and they claimed that the rifle chamber was all clean. In looking at the rest of the Federal NEW ammo in their box, it wasn't all shiny like you would expect it to be and had spots of something all over them. If I worked at it, I could eventually scrap some of the stuff off with my fingernail.

The also had purchased a box of Barrett ammo and I showed them the difference in the visual quality of the Barrett compared to the Federal. I told them to try to clean up the Federal ammo before shooting any mor in their Bohica.

They had no problems with the Barrett ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
I have nothing left to say

User avatarHEAVY-HITTER
Active Poster

Postby HEAVY-HITTER » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:35 pm

That FEDERAL needs to be recalled.AMERICAN EAGLE? :bs:
SEMPER FI

Junkie84

Postby Junkie84 » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:49 pm

I bought a case of this stuff and it did just fine for me out of my M99. I was shooting milk jugs at 600 yards with no problem. Like others have said, it works great for plinking, and for the price, it can't be beat. I would want to get something better for a competition though. At least I know when the milk jugs invade, I will be able to survive.

User avatarHEAVY-HITTER
Active Poster

Postby HEAVY-HITTER » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:15 am

was the brass clean ?mine had red spatter corrosion on it. :?:
SEMPER FI

User avatarDEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:30 pm

When i got mine i got it from sportsmans guide and had no problems with them. Oh one double feed on my 82a1 but that was it after that went out and shot over 100 rounds of the stuff with no problem i was hitting an 18 inch plate at 720 yds with it.
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae