Trigger Modification Statement

Important Announcements from Barrett Firearms

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

User avatarBarrett1
NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Trigger Modification Statement

Postby Barrett1 » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 2:10 pm

Barrett 82 series rifles are engineered to provide years of safe and reliable service.

Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc. strongly discourages any modification on or to any parts which result in lowering the trigger pull weight of 82 series rifles. Alterations to these parts create a rifle that is unsafe to fire. In addition to safety, these modifications also reduce the reliability of the rifle.

The factory trigger pull weight of the 82 series of rifles is 7-9 pounds. Any rifles found to be out of specification should be returned to Barrett for inspection.

For service contact Barrett Firearms to obtain a return authorization number:

Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc.
Warranty/Repair Department
615-896-2938

darksoldier300
Board Veteran
Favorite Firearm: 82a1 allways will be

Re: Trigger Modification Statement

Postby darksoldier300 » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 9:06 pm

ok quick question as stated on lins site this does void the warenty...but the only thing that this upgrade does is replaces the exact same parts with a coated part. i dont see how this could make the rifle unsafe its the same parts with a coat on them. would you mind explaining why this would cause any problems thanks
hope for the best prepare for the worst

User avatarBarrett1
Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Barrett1 » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:16 pm

Our rifles are tested with factory installed and manufactured parts to ensure the rifle exceeds safety standards that have been set by our military and BFMI.

Changing factory installed components or modifying them will result in a rifle design that hasn’t been tested to our standards; therefore, our policy is to void the warranty.

Specifically, altering a trigger component’s geometry or surface finish, may result in a rifle more prone to unintentionally fire, which could result in personal injury or damage to the rifle.

darksoldier300
Board Veteran

Postby darksoldier300 » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 1:01 pm

the specs as to my knowledge havent changed and the parts have not been altered. the parts are identical to those i swapped out. but i do understand some are shortning springs and adding wedges but in this case (lins upgrade) its just a coating. and yes i understand it voided the warenty but i have had mine for a year and a half so it was allready void. as far as i no hes takeing old parts probley sand blasting the factory coat off and recoating. so are you saying the rifle is no longer safe just want to no what im talking about when i speak to others about it.

SpaceAholic
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: M82A1 / M107A1 / XM500

Postby SpaceAholic » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:40 pm

darksoldier300 wrote:the specs as to my knowledge havent changed and the parts have not been altered.

Wrong..the coating alters the coefficient of friction to decrease trigger pull...

darksoldier300
Board Veteran

Postby darksoldier300 » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 5:36 pm

i see....i dont see how it could affect the rifle in a negitive way. i dont wana speak to soon but ive heard a rumor and will let everyone no when i find out its ture

cruzie27
Military: yes

Postby cruzie27 » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 2:23 pm

any updates?

i got my M82a1 in Dec 08,. so the factory warrenty is well expired and i'm seriously giving Lin's parts a hard look.

User avatarFalconpilot

Postby Falconpilot » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 4:52 pm

I have been shooting mine and like it... It was worth it my opinion.... Especially since it has a money back guarantee....

Dennis
Who is left to defend the constitution from the tyrants? The people, thats who...

qwerty
Location: EVERYWHERE and nowhere at the same time ssspooookyyyyy
Favorite Firearm: ar15
Favorite Ammo: 223

Postby qwerty » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 2:43 am

i think the coating could rub off the modified trigger into other parts and cause a problem when i get mine im keeping it mil spec thank you very much for the warning god bless
im not going down without 5 or 6 zombies with me

Return to Announcements from Barrett