Sea Cadet - 50 BMG Familiarization (blank ammo)

Discuss Everything Else

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

User avatarersc
Active Poster

Sea Cadet - 50 BMG Familiarization (blank ammo)

Postby ersc » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Folks

My gun club is hosting part of a US Navy Sea Cadet training event.

http://www.seacadets.org/public/

They plan to fly them in an Air Force C-130 to an Army base, then fly them in a Blackhawk to a nearby training area, then bring them to our range in Army trucks or Hummers... Should be a fun time for them...

I will be doing a 50 BMG familiarization. I have 150 rounds of Barret XM33 ball ammo and we have about 100 rounds of 50 BMG blank ammo (head stamp FNB 87).

We will be using a Barrett 99, Barrett 82, and AR-50.

They would like to have the cadets fire a few blanks followed by 5 ball rounds.

QUESTION: Is there any possible problems using blank ammo in the these rifles???
[ 50 BMG Cooridnator for my loccal sportsman's club -- Retired Navy ] Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: Sea Cadet - 50 BMG Familiarization (blank ammo)

Postby Shadow » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 12:37 am

ersc wrote:We will be using a Barrett 99, Barrett 82, and AR-50.

They would like to have the cadets fire a few blanks followed by 5 ball rounds.

QUESTION: Is there any possible problems using blank ammo in the these rifles???

I'm personally biased - I don't like firing blanks.... But...IF you do (consider firing blanks), I wouldn’t fire the M1 type blanks, rather only use the M1A1 blanks. The M1A1 differs from the M1 in that the M1A1 has a rosette crimp at the mouth.

As a reference, in the M2, when firing blanks, a M19 Blank Firing Adapter (BFA) must be used and in the M85 a M20 BFA must be used. The BFA’s are necessary to keep the gas pressure high enough to allow the action to cycle.

In the Barretts, even though a BFA doesn't exist, I’d suspect there wouldn’t be any “major” issues, other than not working the action properly. Remember in the movie “Shooter” – in the opening scenes, Swagger racks the charging handle of the Barrett M107 between shots (like a non blank adapted rifle would require) - without a BFA, the action wouldn’t work properly.

Just mulling it over, firing blanks is only practical in military battlefield exercises - keeps the friendlies from becoming casualties. I'm ignoring the firing of blanks in movies, etc.

Shooting in an organized "range" or "weapon familarization" event, I don't think shooting blanks is prudent. IMO - I'd just stick with the "Ball Ammo" and enforce all the safety measures, etc. I know when I "demo" a semi weapon, I also don't load more than two rounds at a time in the mag.. But, that's just me and my rather biased method. Sorry for the long reply. I couldn't help myself...
:)
ImageImageImageImage

User avatarRangeRat
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Sea Cadet - 50 BMG Familiarization (blank ammo)

Postby RangeRat » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 9:33 am

:det: Shadow has it right about the blanks. Here is what the Army -10 manual says.

COMPATIBLE AMMUNITION
WARNING
Use of unauthorized ammunition in the M107 Sniper Rifle can cause personal injury or damage to rifle. Table 1 below lists the only ammunition authorized for use in the M107 Sniper Rifle. If it is not shown, it is not authorized.
Table 1. Authorized Ammunition for M107 Sniper Rifle.
Ammunition
Description
MK211 Mod 0 Caliber .50 API Cartridge
M33 Caliber .50 Ball Cartridge
M17 Caliber .50 Tracer Cartridge
M8 Caliber .50 API Cartridge
M20 Caliber .50 APIT Cartridge
M1A1 Caliber .50 Blank Cartridge

I would also suggest that after firing blanks and before going to live ammo you clean the bolt and bore. Since the M82A1/M107 will not have a blank adapter you will have to cycle the bolt carrier manually each time. I hope they all have a great time. I remember when my little brother was in Navy JROTC. He had a blast. He has now been in the Navy about 13 yrs and is a Navy Chief. He is the only squid in the family. GO ARMY :drill:
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

Return to General Discussion