Barrett 98 Bravo 20" Barrel Fluted or Not Question

Medium Caliber, Bolt Action Precision Rifle

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Barrett 98 Bravo 20" Barrel Fluted or Not Question

Postby leftcoast32 on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 6:40 pm

I have had a Barrett 98 Bravo with 20" Barrel on order and it came in last week. I had to sign all the 10 day wait paperwork and will pick it up on Sunday. I was expecting the fluted barrel and this one has the solid non-fluted barrel? Is this an earlier model or doesn't the 20" barrel come fluted? Thanks in advance!
leftcoast32

Re: Barrett 98 Bravo 20" Barrel Fluted or Not Question

Postby Shadow on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 7:30 pm

leftcoast32 wrote:I have had a Barrett 98 Bravo with 20" Barrel on order and it came in last week. I had to sign all the 10 day wait paperwork and will pick it up on Sunday. I was expecting the fluted barrel and this one has the solid non-fluted barrel? Is this an earlier model or doesn't the 20" barrel come fluted? Thanks in advance!

Others, may prove this wrong, but I'm pretty sure most (if not all) the 20" barrels are not fluted. The 27" is fluted. The main benefit of fluting, is adding stiffness to the barrel & faster cooling....

I wouldn't worry about the (lack of) fluting, cuz the 20" barrel is inherently stiffer, so having a non-fluted barrel isn't significant - other than looking "less ninja" :lol: .....

The longer barrel is better if you're shooting at the extreme ranges of the .338. There is a MV reduction with the 20" barrel. But, if you're shooting mid to long ranges mostly, you'll likely not have any issues.

IF you're getting a BORS, etc., I'd get (or borrow) a chronograph and test the MV on 2 or 3 types of ammo, to see which one your rifle likes best; and so you can document the actual MV with your ammo that shoots the best groups. Then the ballistic charts you work up for your rifle will be more accurate.

Just saying....
:mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby leftcoast32 on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 8:01 pm

I am having some custom .338 LM made up so we can get the MV back up to around 2700-3000 fps. I will be taking it out for the first shoot once I have the new Leupold Scope (Mark IV 8.5-25x50) installed with Ex-Rings.

I will be firing it on a 100m range first to zero it. Then we have a 1000m range on an Indian Reservation close by to work out the ballistics of the rounds I want to use. Once everything is ready I will pull a few strings on base (Retired Marine) and go out on one of the ranges on Base (Camp Pendleton) to see how she does on targets out as far as 2800m.

I was more interested in the fluted barrel for cooling as it adds more surface area to discharge the heat.
leftcoast32

Postby Shadow on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 8:26 pm

Sounds like you have a "plan". Pictures of your results will be certainly welcome - I'm especially interested in how it shoots from (say) 1850m to 2800m.

Which Range (meaning the name) will you be shooting at CAMPEN?
:drill:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

Postby leftcoast32 on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 8:32 pm

I will have to piggy back on one of the ranges set up for the M2 and MK19 as they are the only ranges that deep with enplaced vehicle targets. It will be the ranges by the old range control tower (407 bravo if I remember correctly). Should be fun being back on those ranges again.
Last edited by leftcoast32 on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leftcoast32

Postby Bad Rat on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 8:47 pm

Shadow wrote:Sounds like you have a "plan". Pictures of your results will be certainly welcome - I'm especially interested in how it shoots from (say) 1850m to 2800m.

Which Range (meaning the name) will you be shooting at CAMPEN?
:drill:

Now I am not claiming to be an expert as I am just getting into this addiction of Long Barrels, Big Bores and Scopes to study Humming Birds at 1000 yards but isn't 1800+ meters a reach for a .338? Just wondering out loud??? :det:

Need to re-install my Ballistics Software after my Computer was hacked by Cyberaids last month.
"Safety" "yea I heard of it. It's that mechanism on the side of a Gun to keep you from shooting people you like".

"Talked to GA Precision yesterday. Conversation basically went straight to "Credit Card Number please"...Gun should be ready in about 4-6 weeks."
Bad Rat

Favorite Firearm: 98B, 82A1, 1911 TRP
Favorite Ammo: Hornady A-Max & V-Max

Postby leftcoast32 on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 8:53 pm

It is at least worth trying. The only down side to the ranges I will have access to is that you can not go down range to look at your groups.
leftcoast32

Postby Bad Rat on Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:20 pm

leftcoast32 wrote:It is at least worth trying. The only down side to the ranges I will have access to is that you can not go down range to look at your groups.

Anything is worth trying but I am a firm believer if you are dumb enough to try something you have the opportunity for success, but if you are to smart to try it you will never have a chance to succeed. So when I was looking into a 338 Lapua Riffle I stumbled on this (and I bought one anyways):

http://www.snipercentral.com/338.htm

And I quote:

"The .338 is fairly new to the sniper community, but it does bear the distinction as being the first and only caliber designed specifically for sniping. While this round was actually developed back in 1983, it wasn't until the last few years that it has gained in popularity. The caliber was designed to arrive at 1000 meters with enough energy to penetrate 5 layers of military body armor and still make the kill. The effective range of this caliber is about 1 mile (1600meters) and in the right shooting conditions, it could come very close to the 2000 meter mark, provided you have the right rifle/ammo/optics/shooter/spotter combination. Realistically, 1200 meters is well within the average sniper. This caliber is designed primarily as a military extreme range anti-personnel round, there really is no Law Enforcement applications, unless you need a super penetrating round for either armored vehicles, or for barricaded suspects. There is not a lot of rifles chambered for the .338, but the list is growing with the likes of Sako, AI, and others producing .338 sniping rifles. Ammo is another problem, match ammo is sometimes difficult to find, but it is becomming more available as time passes. We all know the legal liability of using hand loads, so that is out of the question. Another concern is the recoil of this caliber, even with a good muzzle brake, its brisk. So don't try a rifle without one. Be sure to practice the fundamentals of shooting to try and prevent a flinch from developing.

Recommendations: For military extreme long-range anti-personnel purposes, the .338 Lapua is king. Even the .50BMG falls short (Do to accuracy problems with current ammo). This caliber is not recommended for Law Enforcement.

Military Applications

I have chosen the Lapua factory load with a 250gr FMJ-BT at 3000fps (Wow!). This load has some awsome down range ballistics.

.338 Lapua 250gr FMJ-BT (LockBase) at 3000fps"
"Safety" "yea I heard of it. It's that mechanism on the side of a Gun to keep you from shooting people you like".

"Talked to GA Precision yesterday. Conversation basically went straight to "Credit Card Number please"...Gun should be ready in about 4-6 weeks."
Bad Rat

Favorite Firearm: 98B, 82A1, 1911 TRP
Favorite Ammo: Hornady A-Max & V-Max

Postby Shadow on Tue 16 Mar, 2010 1:00 am

Bad Rat wrote:Now I am not claiming to be an expert as I am just getting into this addiction of Long Barrels, Big Bores and Scopes to study Humming Birds at 1000 yards but isn't 1800+ meters a reach for a .338? Just wondering out loud??? :det:

Uh..... Yeah.....Quite correct.

The .338 goes subsonic at about 1800yds, So.... (for me), it's effective max range is about 1700yds. But, I'd still like to see some results posted if leftcoast32 is willing to try his between 1850m and 2800m.

I'd guess from 1750yds to 2000yds, decent hits would be doable, But from 2000-2800M (with any appreciable wind), I'd expect the .338LM would shoot about 1MOB (Minute of Building). :poke:

BTW- In my SAKO, .338LM, I shoot 250g Scenar HPBT (.675 BC) since that round is better suited for a 1:12 twist by 27.13 inches long barrel (which the SAKO has). The only reason I even have a .338LM is because, it is a good fit between the max ranges of the 7.62/.308 or .300WM and the .50BMG. Note: this was long before the .416 was considered or available.

Anyway, since I've never shot my .338LM beyond 1750yds, I'd sincerely like to see some Extreme-Range results - if leftcoast32 is willing to walk/drive that far to replace the targets. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

Postby leftcoast32 on Tue 16 Mar, 2010 8:05 am

I will have to look into another range on base if I am going to enplace and record the shots on targets. I dont want to have EOD on call. lol
leftcoast32

Postby leftcoast32 on Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:29 am

I picked up the 98 Bravo on Sunday afternoon. I am waiting on the Barret Ex-Rings, Scope, a few other small parts and the ammo. Cant wait to take this out!!
leftcoast32

Postby flyjets on Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:15 pm

Leftcoast

I have shot the 338LM out to 1200 yards with excellent results. My load using Lapua Brass Vit N170 Powder 88.4gr seating a Lapua Senar 300gr bullet.

Give this a try in theory she should stay supersonic out to 2000 yards.

No where East for me to actually test it................ :(

Ian
Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
flyjets

Favorite Firearm: 1874 Sharps
Favorite Ammo: Lapua

Postby leftcoast32 on Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks! I sent your combination over to the guy that is making my rounds. I will keep you posted!
leftcoast32

Postby duckcmmndr on Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:33 am

Congrats on the rifle!!! :cheer:

I don't understand why they would "nix" the flutes on the 20" barrel. I had a guy ready for me to order him one and when he found out the 20" was not fluted he did not want it. He was excited about the shorter 20" for it's compact size...but wanted flutes for both cooling as well as "the look" factor. I can't much blame him. When you spend that much on a rifle you expect it to look a certian way and the flutes are what helps achieve that look. Forget the way it will shoot, cause it's gonna shoot good...flutes or not. I just don't understand why they would not flute the 20" barrel like they do with the 27" barrel. It does look a lot better not to mention the added cooling and stiffness it provides.
duckcmmndr

Postby leftcoast32 on Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:08 am

(1) Barrett 98 Bravo with 20" Heavy Barrel (Never Fired)
(5) Barrett 98 Bravo 10 Round Magazines
(6) Barrett 98 Bravo 1/2 Side Rails
(1) Barrett 98 Bravo Bore Guide
(1) Barrett Bore Cleaning Fluid
(1) Pelican #1750 Case
(1 set) Barrett 15/40, 30mm Ex-Rings
(3) Magpul Rail Covers
(1) Magpul Sling
(1) Fab Defence Forward Grip (same as stock grip)
(20 rounds) Hand Loaded Ammunition - 338 Lapua Magnum - 230 gr Solid MBBT with Hornady Brass

(1) New Leupold #64660, Mark 4, ERT, 6.5x20x50, Front Focal MilDot Retical

leftcoast32

Return to Model 98B