New Member Introduction

Introduce Yourself

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

User avatarhawkster

New Member Introduction

Postby hawkster » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello all, I am new and wanted to introduce myself! Retired State level law enforcement, working part-time to enjoy my shooting hobby and other outdoor hobbies! I am also a brand new owner of a Model-99! It Came with a Bushnell 10X and Pelican case. While I was awaiting its arrival, I read through these forums and heeded some of the sage advice! Upon arrival, I removed the Bushnell and added a Barrett recommended Leupold Mark 4, 4.5-14X50 ER/T M-1 scope and a Barrett BORS! The weapon is now bore sighted and readyfor a trip to the range to make final "adjustments!" I will start my BORS Library with the Barrett M33BA Cartridge and Chrono for 2650 out to 100 yards first, then work out to 300 yards. Hopefully, having a ton of fun along the way? :cheer:

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: New Member Introduction

Postby Shadow » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 5:35 pm

hawkster wrote:Hello all, I am new and wanted to introduce myself! Retired State level law enforcement, working part-time to enjoy my shooting hobby and other outdoor hobbies! I am also a brand new owner of a Model-99! It Came with a Bushnell 10X and Pelican case. While I was awaiting its arrival, I read through these forums and heeded some of the sage advice! Upon arrival, I removed the Bushnell and added a Barrett recommended Leupold Mark 4, 4.5-14X50 ER/T M-1 scope and a Barrett BORS! The weapon is now bore sighted and readyfor a trip to the range to make final "adjustments!" I will start my BORS Library with the Barrett M33BA Cartridge and Chrono for 2650 out to 100 yards first, then work out to 300 yards. Hopefully, having a ton of fun along the way? :cheer:

Welcome to the forum.... :)

I think you made a wise choice on your rifle/scope combination AND the BORS, of course. I have a 99 also, but not a BORS. I currently use a MilDot scope, since I have quite a lot of experience with MilDot ranging, etc., so I haven't even tried a BORS (yet). Typically, I just "hold over" from my 100yd zero, with the MilDot and I do (sorta) OK with my rifle. Certainly the BORS should prove to be more accurate (than my simplistic method). I'm just a hard headed :drill:

I think you'll also discover that the 99 will also shoot better than 1MOA at most ranges - beyond 300yds. But, you'll have a lot of fun shooting at 300yds with it. Later on, If you have a range available try your rifle at 500yds & 750 yds, etc.. I think you'll be surpised.... I personally don't shoot that much at, say 1000 yds or longer ranges, because such shooting ranges are hard for me to travel to (closest one is about 500 miles away). But I do shoot a lot at 300, 500 & 750 yards. If you don't get great results with the M33 ammo, try some 750g AMAX, to see if it makes a difference. I shoot exclusively 750g AMAX - and I don't reload, so that's the best I've used. :mrgreen:

Also, I think you'll find the rifle will work a little better (break in) after about 50-100 rounds, so you may, for example, resist doing any (ahem) trigger work right away. Wait and see how it breaks in... Just a thought.... :det:

Anyway, welcome to the forum....
ImageImageImageImage

User avatarDEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:50 pm

Welcome to the forum i agree with shadow fine choice on your fire arm and optics i'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. :cheer:
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae

User avatarStitch
Continuing Member
Favorite Firearm: Springfield M1911 Gov't

Postby Stitch » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 7:27 am

Welcome and you'll have a blast !!! Enjoy!!
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison

User avatarShane Goddard
Board Veteran

Postby Shane Goddard » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 7:39 am

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

yamahawr400
Contributing Member

Postby yamahawr400 » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 8:12 am

welcome and congrats on the new addition. you will love her. i agree with shadow on his points. i havent shot the amax bullets. but the barrett ammo works good and the brazilian ammo i use seems to do the trick just fine as well

User avatarSamurai
Site Admin
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: FN LAR Paratrooper
Favorite Ammo: 7.62 mm

Postby Samurai » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 6:34 pm

Congrats on joining the forum, welcome aboard.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People think I'm paranoid because I own guns.
If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".

SEMPER FI

Return to New Member Introductions