NUTFINN
Poster

Re: Raufoss

Postby NUTFINN » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 7:24 pm

WTF, 30 views, no replies :conf:

Ridz

Postby Ridz » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 7:50 pm

I guess you don't know unless you buy it...I would think if it were real the "explosive" part would be a class 3 destructive device type of thing wouldn't it?

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:06 pm

Raufoss rounds are quite expensive. BUT..... anyone can be tricked into to buying some only to find out they are phonies. Anyone can "paint" projo's to match a real Raufoss marking scheme, then sell them, as real Raufoss rounds. But, as stated, you will only know, if you buy them and try em.

Personally, I wouldn't fire any (real or not) in any Barrett - the MB is the issue. AND you really don't know what has been "reloaded". As far as being a DD, they're not - don't have enough powder in the projo to be classified as a DD.

They only way to ascertain if a Raufoss projo is real (before firing) is to X-Ray it.

Just my thoughts.
:det:
ImageImageImageImage

NUTFINN
Poster

Postby NUTFINN » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:35 pm

What is MB?

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:05 pm

NUTFINN wrote:What is MB?

MB = Muzzle Brake.

Actually, I mis-spoke. I was thinking about the SLAP round - not to be fired in the Barretts. I guess you could shoot Raufoss in the 82s, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes the inner core doesn't spin at the same rate as the outer jacket - which causes "air bursts" at about 25-50 yds. :ohno:

To my knowledge Raufoss has never been sold to civilians. So, if that is true, the only way to acquire any, is for it to be stolen from the "military" then sold between civilians or on the Internet. But, that may just be FUD... It seems to come up on the Internet every year or so....

I do know it is really accurate and punches thru "hard targets" like no other .50BMG round. But, with API being so available (and cheaper), I wouldn't take a chance on any "Raufoss".
:drill:
ImageImageImageImage

User avatarDEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 1:21 am

Like shadow said anyone could paint the rounds. I would be cautious since the price was so cheap. :cheer:
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae

User avatarm82a1pa
Favorite Firearm: M82A1
Favorite Ammo: Reloads

Postby m82a1pa » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 8:29 am

Ridz wrote:I guess you don't know unless you buy it...I would think if it were real the "explosive" part would be a class 3 destructive device type of thing wouldn't it?

It's not classed as such since it contains less than 1/4 OZ of explosive material. Shot one out of my 82 a few years back at some bullet proof Lexon. It wasn't too impressive as I guess it needs a more solid target. I've got a few Raufoss in my collection.

Ridz

Postby Ridz » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:23 am

real or not, that guy is making a ton of money! Dang. I don't know what to think, it shows a decent seller rating, which if they were fake and you just paid $35 a peice, wouldn't you leave a "negative" feedback? hey m82a1pa what would happen if you shot a soft target with one of these, say like a moose? Maybe hit it in the shoulder blade? Someone pony up and head out and we'll all watch on youtube :headbang:

Postby Primative Screwhead » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:22 pm

Shadow wrote:
NUTFINN wrote:What is MB?

MB = Muzzle Brake.

Actually, I mis-spoke. I was thinking about the SLAP round - not to be fired in the Barretts. I guess you could shoot Raufoss in the 82s, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes the inner core doesn't spin at the same rate as the outer jacket - which causes "air bursts" at about 25-50 yds. :ohno:

To my knowledge Raufoss has never been sold to civilians. So, if that is true, the only way to acquire any, is for it to be stolen from the "military" then sold between civilians or on the Internet. But, that may just be FUD... It seems to come up on the Internet every year or so....

I do know it is really accurate and punches thru "hard targets" like no other .50BMG round. But, with API being so available (and cheaper), I wouldn't take a chance on any "Raufoss".
:drill:

I double checked this opinion by checking the website of ATK, the company that manufactures these Mk211 rounds for the US Government using the same NAMMO/Raufoss bullets:

http://www.atk.com/customer_solutions_armamentsystems/cs_as_ma_sc_.50-caliber.asp

Just as I first thought, it says that the Mk211 is ideal for use in SASR Barrett or M82 rifles. I believe I'm going to trust the manufacturer on this one.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

User avatarm82a1pa
Favorite Firearm: M82A1
Favorite Ammo: Reloads

Postby m82a1pa » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:50 pm

Ridz wrote:hey m82a1pa what would happen if you shot a soft target with one of these, say like a moose? Maybe hit it in the shoulder blade?

I think you'd need something harder to set off the explosive charge. It works sort of like an API round. The bullet is frangible - breaks into, I believe, tungsten slivers. It just made a half inch hole through 2 inches of Lexan :D

yamahawr400
Contributing Member

Postby yamahawr400 » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:08 am

yea ur prob goin to need a harder target than a shoulder bone. i dont believe ud get it to do what its meant to do with bone.

darksoldier300
Board Veteran
Favorite Firearm: 82a1 allways will be

Postby darksoldier300 » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:07 pm

i can buy api rounds an paint them and whe shot ud prolly think i was real due to api haveing and explosive efect....i wouldnt trust it
hope for the best prepare for the worst

Tim Mulverhill
Barrett Firearms

Postby Tim Mulverhill » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 10:57 pm

MK211 has never been commercially available, and any appearing for sale on GB or any other venue is assumed to be stolen from the military. These ads pop up periodically and then suddenly dissapear.

MK211 is perfectly safe to use in 82A1 or M107 rifles, which are used daily to place MK211 projectiles where they can best support US foreign policy objectives.

User avatarEspada

Postby Espada » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:21 am

"MK211 is perfectly safe to use in 82A1 or M107 rifles, which are used daily to place MK211 projectiles where they can best support US foreign policy objectives."

Quelle diplomatique !! :cheer:

Next

Return to .50 Ammo