Aurora Sportsman's Club (2009/2010--RETIRED)

Fifty Friendly Places to Shoot

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Re: North-Central Illinois Range--Aurora Sportsman's Club

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 28 Sep, 2009 6:16 am

Just going to share with you a video from our second monthly Practical Rifle event. The first was just the M4 qualification course used by the Marine Corps. The second ... Well, it's come a long way in a month.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9o4YyTid1c
"Stupid can happen anywhere at any time; so you best be prepared for it."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

New Action Shooting Events Scheduled

Postby LeoAtrox on Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:43 am

Steel Challenge Pistol Matches are on the 2nd Saturday of the month.
Check-in is at 8:30 am. Classifications include .22 LR and all center
fire pistols with or without optics. Members, women, and juniors $15,
non-members $20. You will shoot 8 stages 3 times each. Bring at least 120
rounds. Registration and confirmation is required via email to
3gun@aurorasc.org
- April 10, 2010
- May 8, 2010

3 Gun Matches are on the 3rd Sunday of the month. Check-in is at 8:30 am.
Members, women, and juniors $20, non-members $25 lunch included. You
will shoot 2 shotgun stages (min. 20 rnds), 3 pistol stages (min. 60
rnds), and 2 rifle stages (min. 40 rnds). At least half the targets will
be steel. Registration and confirmation is required via email to
3gun@aurorasc.org
- June 20, 2010
- July 18, 2010
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby DEDMNKY on Tue 19 Jan, 2010 8:05 pm

I need to get over there and check that place out. Thanks for the info LEO :cheer:
BARRETT 82A1 SEMI AUTOMATIC WITH LEUPOLD MARK 4 8.2-25X50MM WITH BORS
BUSHMASTER M-4
RUGER MINI-14 WITH LEUPOLD 3-9
WASR AK-47
CHINESE SKS
2 XD-45
BERETTA PX4 STORM 45
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 A1
SIG SAUER 1911
PARA ORDINANCE WARTHOG 45
SMITH & WESSON 500 MAG
IMI DERSERT EAGLE 50ae
DEDMNKY
Continuing Member

Rifle/Pistol Range Modifications in the Works

Postby LeoAtrox on Fri 29 Jan, 2010 5:22 pm

As our Action Sports department and events are running on all cylinders, they've proposed several modifications to our shooting areas to better support the membership and events. Modular concrete dividing walls will be added to the 50-ft and 25-yd ranges in the coming weeks to divide these shooting areas; essentially turning our 6 current rifle/pistol ranges into 9. This will allow events to continue while still providing avenues for members to use at the same time.

From the Action Sports chair (italicized text added by me): "The green lines are where we are putting the walls for this year. The plan is to put up walls on the red lines in year 2011. We need to do some serious work out there (in the Action Sports area) to make a safe place to shoot. The Black lines are 2012."

Once the Action Sports area is up and running, all Action Sports events will be held there, leaving all standard rifle/pistol ranges available for member shooting during events. The modular concrete walls to be put up this year (represented by the green lines) will be moved to the Action Sports area; so they won't be on the 50-ft and 25-yd ranges anymore after that area is up and running.

:headbang:

BTW: For those who didn't see the other arial photo, I'll explain what you're looking at. This view is from the West looking East ...

In the foreground from left-to-right are the 50-ft, 25-yd, 50-yd, 100-yd, 200-yd, and 600-yd ranges.

The Action Sports area is what you see beyond the 25-yd, 50-yd, and 100-yd rifle/pistol ranges.

Beyond action sports is where there will be camping and archery ranges.

Beyond that you might be able to make out the trap and skeet fields. This area will also be the location of the clubhouse, whenever it is built. Some archery (paper and 3D targets) are in the Southern (right) part of this area right now; but it's really not possible to make those out from the air.

The lakes you see are stocked with fish. I think we'll be able to start fishing this year ... Maybe next. Depends on how mature the fish are.

The rest of our property is corn.

Nice big place. Not big enough for a 1000-yard range I guess, but we are big enough to get *ahem* hunting tags.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Fri 05 Feb, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks for the update Leo, I have driven out by a few times, still contemplating on what to do. The place looks nice, it would be nice if you could get to the range from the club house instead of driving all the way around the 2 sections. My office is about 2 miles from the range. I walk out and hear the range and it just make me smile!! Maybe I will see you there somet time.

Stitch :poke:
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison
Stitch
Continuing Member

NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Springfield M1911 Gov't

Postby LeoAtrox on Fri 05 Feb, 2010 2:27 pm

Stitch wrote:The place looks nice, it would be nice if you could get to the range from the club house instead of driving all the way around the 2 sections.

I agree; it would be nice to get to the range from the club house (once it is built). There's an access road that goes straight into the middle of the ranges; but I don't think it'll be opened up to regular club traffic. Looks like we'll be driving around the main road. Despite having one of largest centerfire rifle/pistol shooting area in the northern half of the state, we're still primarily a shotgun sports club. Plus, trap/skeet is more "socially accepted" than centerfire rifle/pistol; so it's nice to have that area be the most visible for visitors. We have a lot of politicians that come out to the club for meetings (primarily leading up to elections for meet-and-greets and Q&A sessions). That, and we rifle/pistol people are just a bit more rugged on average. We don't need no stinkin' clubhouse. (Well, except for the benchrest rimfire folks.) :nono:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Sat 06 Feb, 2010 12:57 pm

Also comming to the Aurora Sportsmens club in Waterman, IL and a range near you:

http://appleseedinfo.org/

Range: Aurora Sportsman’s Club

Address: Rueff Road, Waterman, IL 60556

When: March 6-7
April 17-18
June 5-6
July 31-Aug 1
Oct. 2-3
Nov. 6-7

Range Fee: $10.00 per person/weekend

Camping available: NO onsite Camping. Nearby Camping at Shabbona State Park, for more info follow this link.. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/r1/shabbona.htm.

Hotels: Several Hotels within 30 minutes drive in nearby Aurora and Yorkville, IL

Directions: Waterman ASC is located south west of Waterman, Illinois, about 60 miles due west of Chicago. The Ranges are on Rueff Road, Waterman, IL 60556. To get to the Ranges from the traffic light at IL route 30 and Elm St in Waterman, drive one mile past Elm St. in Waterman to Leland Rd (Look for the HOKA Turkey sign) and head south approx 1 mile to the second road, Rueff Rd and turn left heading east. Signs are posted at each gate

When Traveling from Chicago (from the East),
Take 290 West to I88 West
Take I88 West to the Sugar Grove/Route 56 Exit
Take the Sugar Grove Exit
Stay on Route 56 which will change to Route 30 West
Continue on Route 30 West towards Waterman

When traveling from the West,
Take I88 East to Route 47 South
Take Route 47 South to the Route 30 West exit, or
Take Route 30 West to Waterman

When traveling from the North,
Take Route 47 South to Route 30 West Exit

When traveling from the South,
Take Route 47 North to Route 30 West Exit

GPS: Unknown at this time

State Laws to be aware of:
Check Local Laws Here http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

Misc: Centerfire OK. This range is handicap accessible. Shooters, who achieve Rifleman, may have a chance to shoot on Known Distance Ranges out to 600yds, depending on availability. This Range is very conveniently located near Aurora Municipal airport for those of you that fly. Here is a link http://www.auroraairport.com/locate.htm

For More Information Contact: Bill Essling on the forum (EEL) (630)292-6452, or Dan Hendrickson (Garand69) at, IL@appleseedinfo.org or (630)529-5654

Registration Link: March 6-7 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516376496
April 17-18 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516382514
June 5-6 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516385523
July 31-Aug 1 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516387529
Oct. 2-3 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516396556
Nov. 6-7 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/516401571
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison
Stitch
Continuing Member

Updated Web Site

Postby LeoAtrox on Wed 24 Feb, 2010 9:56 am

FYI. The Club has updated its web site (http://www.aurorasc.org). The new site is easier to navigate and will give you a better look at what is going on at the club, as well as udpated membership information.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:34 am

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

OPEN HOUSE

Postby LeoAtrox on Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:59 am

Here are the Open House dates for 2010. I probably should have posted these sooner since THERE IS AN OPEN HOUSE THIS WEEKEND.

March 27
May 8
June 19
August 14

I will probably be at the club this weekend. I'm planning on being there May 8 as well, but it's too far our to be sure right now.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Mon 03 May, 2010 9:09 am

Reminder that there is an open house next weekend. Safety briefs will be at 1000 and 1200 for visitors. I'll be there.

Concrete walls are up to further divide a couple of the bays. So the steel challenge match shouldn't interfere with the free shooting.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Fri 18 Jun, 2010 2:35 pm

Pro-ration of membership dues began this month. So, if you're thinking about joining, now is a good time to get in while there's still time to shoot this summer.

[Proration of dues changed to start beginning February! See below.]

And, yes, there are two constitutional amendments proposed to adjust the initiation fee. Voting on the proposals will happen in late July, but there are no guarantees that either will pass.
Last edited by LeoAtrox on Mon 23 Aug, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:40 am

Leo - Let me know how the voting goes and I may reassess the situation.
Stitch
Continuing Member

Postby LeoAtrox on Thu 05 Aug, 2010 12:07 pm

As it stands now, the initiation fee is unchanged. The two proposed amendments that would have lowered the initiation fee did not pass. HOWEVER:

If you aren't in the market to join this year, there's good news for next year. New members annual dues are now prorated starting in February (as opposed to June). Now, no matter when you join, you're only paying membership dues for the time you actually have left in the year to shoot.

There appear to be more positive changes coming. Obviously, we will continue to try to lower the initiation fee, but we're also looking at what can be done to add value to a new membership that doesn't require changes to the club constitution. (How about a new member pack that includes hundreds of dollars worth of certificates and passes?) Stay tuned!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Mon 09 Aug, 2010 9:43 am

I keep checking please let me know if anything else changes thenks Leo.
Stitch
Continuing Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ranges