ex-ring vs zero gap

Optics Discussions

Moderators: Barrett Optics, Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

ex-ring vs zero gap

Postby MonSteRZeRo on Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:08 am

hello fellars, thanks for reading this, quick speculation, if i was planning on buy zero gap rings, but read that the ex rings can give me 30MOAS of 'comeups' and would be shooting amax 750's (hornady) factory load out of new m107a1, with a Leupold mk4 8.5-25x50 what rings should i go with? ill probably only be using ball ammo for the hogs and not so serious distances (inside 500yrds), also i do plan on putting a BORS system on my new toy but will do it later. any opinons would be appreciated, im leaning toward the exrings has anyone had any problems with these? again thankyou for taking time to read this. :cheer: :headbang:
MonSteRZeRo
Poster

NRA Member: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Everything I have
Favorite Ammo: hornady

Re: ex-ring vs zero gap

Postby Shadow on Sat 12 Feb, 2011 8:40 pm

MonSteRZeRo wrote:hello fellars, thanks for reading this, quick speculation, if i was planning on buy zero gap rings, but read that the ex rings can give me 30MOAS of 'comeups' and would be shooting amax 750's (hornady) factory load out of new m107a1, with a Leupold mk4 8.5-25x50 what rings should i go with? ill probably only be using ball ammo for the hogs and not so serious distances (inside 500yrds), also i do plan on putting a BORS system on my new toy but will do it later. any opinons would be appreciated, im leaning toward the exrings has anyone had any problems with these? again thankyou for taking time to read this. :cheer: :headbang:

I'll start......Some guys have had issues with the exRings - but that just might be due to operator error.

Anyways, I'd suggest getting the regular ZERO-GAP Rings Ultra High (1.4”). Get the Ultra High for a better cheek weld to C/L of the scope.

Thinking through it....The new M107A1 is coming with the typical 27MOA rail. It would certainly be easier to shoot at the shorter ranges with just 27MOA of "non-adjustable" initial elevation, rather than 42 to 67MOA of initial elevation that you'd be stuck with (if you got the ex rings).

I mention this because if you start with just the 27MOA rail w/ZERO-GAP rings, you'll still be able to get out to the longer ranges and also be able to "turret adjust" for the <200yd ranges. Typically, AMAX needs about 76MOA elevation to get out to 2,000 yds (with a 100yd zero).

Also consider that the Leupold mk4 8.5-25x50 has only 75MOA of total elevation adjustment? Whereas, for example, the Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm has 100-MOA of elevation adjustment. That extra 25MOA is needed for the longer ranges. Also, NightForce Scopes generally have 100+MOA of elevation adjustment. So, if you just feel the need for more magnification, I'd look at the NightForce scopes with 100MOA adjustment.

Bottom line - Generally 10-15X is more long range/mirage friendly than 20-25X. I'd sacrifice some magnification for more MOA on the Scope and stick with the ZERO-GAP Rings, which will allow for dialing down the scope for the short ranges.

:drill: Just my thoughts. Others can provide some more input based on their experiences..... :det:

Good Luck in your search for the right setup for your intended shooting. :cheer:

Having said ALL that - if you're going to shoot a lot beyond 1500yds, read thru "Hognuts" and "Vegas" thread. Read about their shooting and MOA requirements beyond 1500yds.

Here's the thread:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/home/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2217

Lastly, realize they're shooting the bolt M99s - using AMAX Match (I'd assume).

Anyone's results with the 82A1s or 107A1s at those distances would likely be quite different. Likely not MOA, but rather MOC (Minute of CAR).
:poke:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: ex-ring vs zero gap

Postby Hognuts on Mon 14 Feb, 2011 11:11 pm

Having said ALL that - if you're going to shoot a lot beyond 1500yds, read thru "Hognuts" and "Vegas" thread. Read about their shooting and MOA requirements beyond 1500yds.

Here's the thread:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/home/forum ... f=7&t=2217

Lastly, realize they're shooting the bolt M99s - using AMAX Match (I'd assume).

Anyone's results with the 82A1s or 107A1s at those distances would likely be quite different. Likely not MOA, but rather MOC (Minute of CAR).

On our last excursion @ 2000 yards we were shooting Vegas's model 99, he has the ex-rings set on the 40 moa setting, he had to dial 70 minutes on his NF (which is all he had left on his turret!) Any more elevation would have had to be hold over! We both are shooting model 99's with handloaded AMAX, my favorite load is 235 grains of H50 BMG, you can play with your OAL, Vegas runs his a little longer than mine...He always has to one up me...I ordered a USO with a 34mm tube and he had to go and order one with a 35mm tube...asshole! Too bad they dont make a 36mm I would have to order it just to piss him off! :rofl:
Hognuts
Valued Member

Return to Scopes & Mounts