Tell me more about the Upper-Receiver "Wear-Strip".

Silence is Flat Dark Earth

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Tell me more about the Upper-Receiver "Wear-Strip".

Postby Blanksguy on Wed 30 Mar, 2011 7:01 am

Looking for more information on the new M107A1 that has a "wear-strip" in the upper-receiver for the bolt to move on.......(?).

I looked over on Barrett's web-page......and can't find any "parts" break-down-diagram" for the M107A1 to show these items..............and would like to know if the "wear-strip" will be a replaceable part if it wears (?).......or will the aluminum upper-receiver/barrel-assembly be required to be replaced at that time (?).

Also, (and Barrett's Tech. can help answer this one).........what are the "inspection-standards" used to check the wear-strip that will show when this part (or Upper-Receiver) will need to be replaced (?)..........such as will the it be the "finish" being worn in spot (?)......worn completely off.......loose-wear-strip (?)........or a measurement of some sort (?).
I believe that some people will want to know prior to commitment to purchase a new M107A1 possibly.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Blanksguy

NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Tell me more about the Upper-Receiver "Wear-Strip".

Postby Yeadon on Sun 03 Apr, 2011 12:34 am

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Yeadon
Continuing Member

Favorite Firearm: M82A1

Postby Barrett1 on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:10 am

The wear strip in the M107A1 is permanently attached to the upper receiver and it shouldn't need replacing.
Barrett1

Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Blanksguy on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for the "up-date"/additional information on the "wear-strip" in the upper-receiver of the new M107A1.

Could you expand on that information (?).....what I mean by that is that the question is not concerning a recently manufactured M107A1........but how long with the wear-strip last (?).........and what will be the indications of the wear-strip "wearing-out" (?)....or "wearing-out-of-tollerance" and how will/can we check this in the future (?).......or will the new upper-receiver be an item that needs to be replaced when the barrel is replaced (?). I know that Barrett has to have done some R&D into this area.

This will help some readers decide which way they want to go in a future purchase on an M107A1 vs. M82A1 vs. M107 ("I for one am trying to decide, with more information").
With the high expense for shipping back-and-forth to Barrett (and time gun is away in shop), if we knew more information about "how to check this wear-strip".......and possible when it might/will wear out, may preclude shipping of a weapon back to Barrett's shop only to be told that the weapon's "wear-strip"/"upper-receiver-assembly" are still good.
I don't need to know the "secret-coatings" on the wear-strip"..........just how to be able to check wear/wearing-out of this part (which I am now told is the entire upper-receiver). Possible number of rounds fired (?).......possible when the coating wears-off the wear-strip (?)....possible when the weapon's accuracy degrades to what point (?).....possibly at "Barrel-Change (?).........possibly ____________(?).

Any additional information into this area will help not only me, but others now and in the future to check this part/upper-receiver wear-strip.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy

Postby Shadow on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:59 pm

Take no offense, but I just couldn't resist.

Really though, just re-read Kevin's post......

IMO - It's not something anyone needs to devote a lot of thought worrying about.

Peace........
:mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Blanksguy on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:27 pm

Shadow,
None taken...

Question still stands.......if I can lay down that kind of money for a Barrett M107A1 w/scope/accessories..........then "someone" at Barrett can answer the questions about the wear-strip and upper-receiver.
The "wear-strip", as the title suggests, is a part that will wear, and/or have much of the moving forces bearing on it......as such, I (and others) would like to know more about this (technically and as far as "service-life") and the upper-receiver where it rides.....and when you look on Barrett's price-sheet for that "part", it isn't a $50 part....nor a $500 part..... an upper-receiver is $$$$ and looks like the only way to get another is as a complete assembly.

So yes, I would like some additional information when they get a chance.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy

Postby m82a1pa on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:01 pm

Kevin works for Barrett so he's aware of the 'wear' strip.

There is no noticeable wear to be worried about. The parkerizing will wear off. Nothing else will. Why would you think it would?

My 82 has a number of rounds through it with no problems. I have several friends with 82's and I haven't heard of anyone mentioning problems with wear. Of course, I've only had mine for 12 years.
m82a1pa

Favorite Firearm: M82A1
Favorite Ammo: Reloads

Postby Barrett1 on Tue 05 Apr, 2011 8:58 am

Blanksguy - I understand you wanting to know as much as possible about such an investment. However, what you're spending precious neurons worrying about is a non-issue. We've had a customer that had one of the old 82A1LW (aluminum upper receiver) rifles that he claimed to have 11,000 rounds through and it was still good. He actually sent it in to have the barrel replaced.

I can't talk materials for obvious reasons, but the materials in the M107A1 are better all around - even on the wear strip.
Barrett1

Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby RangeRat on Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:25 am

The "wear strip" is a small piece of steel inserted into the aluminum upper receiver where the bolt carrier may contact it. Just like on the old M82A1LW, it is there to prevent the steel of the carrier from contacting the aluminum. Friction between these two metals can sometimes be a problem. With the addition of the insert it eliminates any possible worries about wear or gouging. In most cases it is probably not even needed but that little attention to detail to prevent something that may or may not happen is one reason so many people like the reliability of the Barrett rifles. If you look at any of the current rifles or even an old rifle you will notice that the finish on the inside of the upper is worn smooth but there is no obvious wear of the metal itself. Believe me, you will shoot out more than one barrel before you will have to worry about that part wearing out.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
RangeRat

Return to M107A1