Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

User avatarDsully
Poster
NRA Member: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Barrett M99 50

Question about M99 rail

Postby Dsully » Thu 12 May, 2011 11:05 am

I just purchased one so I assume it's a newer version. Is it a flat rail or is there an additional MOA built in? I can't seem to find one absolute answer.

Thanks

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: Question about M99 rail

Postby Shadow » Thu 12 May, 2011 4:13 pm

Dsully wrote:I just purchased one so I assume it's a newer version. Is it a flat rail or is there an additional MOA built in? I can't seem to find one absolute answer.

Thanks

The M99s have a M1913 rail, parallel with bore that is 13.75 in long. So, I'd say yours has a "flat" rail with NO MOA built in. I know mine also has a "flat" rail - I bought it in '95.

The M95s have a M1913 rail, also parallel with the bore.

The M82A1s have a M1913 rail, with 27 MOA elevation.

Can't comment on the M107A1 Rifle System, since it hasn't been officially released yet.

Now, with respect to the built-in MOA, I never bothered to learn just WHY the M99 rails are different that the 82A1s. Kevin may have an answer....
:det:
ImageImageImageImage

User avatarDsully
Poster

Postby Dsully » Thu 12 May, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks. It didn't look like it had any MOA to it but I was reading that some had it on their M99. Just didn't look like it was. Thanks for the reply

Frank in GA
Poster

Postby Frank in GA » Fri 13 May, 2011 6:28 pm

I asked the same question when I bought mine. I called Barrett and spoke to a factory tech and was told that if the rail had "MOA" built in it would be stamped so on the last flat of the rail closest to the stock. I was also told that the 27MOA rail was available if I wanted it or ordered it in that way. I was cautioned that replacing the OEM parallel rail is best done at Barrett due to some of the screws being of different lengths and needing to be torqued in and the potential of stripping out one or more. I opted for the 15/40 Barrett rings instead of going with the rail modifications as it was the easier of the two options available at the time. I'm easily hitting the 800 meter targets with the mildot right on the target and satisfied with the advice I was given and the choice I've made. I've still got internal elevation left for further shots in the scope to boot.

User avatarDsully
Poster

Postby Dsully » Fri 13 May, 2011 9:39 pm

Frank in GA wrote:I asked the same question when I bought mine. I called Barrett and spoke to a factory tech and was told that if the rail had "MOA" built in it would be stamped so on the last flat of the rail closest to the stock. I was also told that the 27MOA rail was available if I wanted it or ordered it in that way. I was cautioned that replacing the OEM parallel rail is best done at Barrett due to some of the screws being of different lengths and needing to be torqued in and the potential of stripping out one or more. I opted for the 15/40 Barrett rings instead of going with the rail modifications as it was the easier of the two options available at the time. I'm easily hitting the 800 meter targets with the mildot right on the target and satisfied with the advice I was given and the choice I've made. I've still got internal elevation left for further shots in the scope to boot.

Awesome info. Thanks!

cnovel
Favorite Firearm: sig 226

Postby cnovel » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 7:53 pm

see if i get an answer so late,,but so new and just got the scope,,,i have a 99,,,with a 27,,,stamped on the end rail near the stock,,i have a nightforce 5.5 x 22.5.x56 with high speed but not zero stop,,,what are my smatest options from the guys that know,,thank you in advance

Craig

User avatarHognuts
Valued Member

Postby Hognuts » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 7:29 pm

My 2 cents is that you just put a flat set of rings on it and run it. I have shot my Barrett 99 with flat base and flat rings out to a mile, I had to use all of the available elevation in my scope (same NF that you are running but with MOA based reticle) Then use hold over, if I rember correctly I dialed 44 minutes and used the 10 minute hash line for a hold. You have the 27 moa base, so you should be able to get out to the mile and slightly beyond with flat rings. Get out there and shoot that thing! :cheer: Good luck and have fun with it, nothing like the feel of shooting these big beasts!

cnovel
Favorite Firearm: sig 226

Postby cnovel » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you for the info,,,I am ready ! It took a while to get scope,,but it is on and Boresighted,,and I have about 200 rounds to start with,,ready to play !,,thanks again,,it sounds like I have a good set up

User avatarRangeRat

Postby RangeRat » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:40 am

Look on the last flat on top of the rail closest to the rear. If it has a 27 engraved in it then it has 27 MOA built into the rail. If there is nothing there then it is a flat rail.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

User avatarRussilwest
Favorite Firearm: caliver 45
Favorite Ammo: sniper

Postby Russilwest » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:23 am

More then likely it's the mount and ring combo, with the height from the center of the bore it won't let you dial the scope down to get on at 100 yards. This problem is compounded with the more MOA that's built into your mount and the higher the rings are that you're using. On the plus side, you'll have all that extra MOA to get on targets further out.

Return to Model 99