A good Knife

Discussion of Responsible Preparation in the Event of a Man Made or Natural Disaster.

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

A good Knife

Postby Stitch on Thu 07 Jul, 2011 9:26 pm

I am looking for a good tactical knife that can also double as a good utility knife. Any suggestions? Thanks Guys!
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison
Stitch
Continuing Member

NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Springfield M1911 Gov't

Re: A good Knife

Postby Barrett1 on Fri 08 Jul, 2011 9:39 am

Are there certain features that you want from such a knife? For example, my EDC has a glass breaker and seat belt cut notch, because in an auto emergency, I want to be able to get back to my child seats and free them from a jammed restraint.
Barrett1

Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Shadow on Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:13 pm

Stitch wrote:I am looking for a good tactical knife that can also double as a good utility knife. Any suggestions? Thanks Guys!

Well, MY 1st choice would be this:

https://www.kabar.com/famous.jsp

I likely have 50-60 knives - If I could have ONLY one, I'd take the Kabar. Just saying - YMMV.

Built to last, reasonable price, easy to maintain, battle proven and camper friendly. Just get the original, not a knock-off. I've got 3 or 4 - my oldest one is over 45 years old and still does the job. I really don't have a need for more than one Kabar, but I just can't stop buying them - sorta like having 5 or 6 flashlights - that are exactly the same.
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Stitch on Fri 08 Jul, 2011 10:18 pm

thanks guys!

Kevin - did you get that knife from blackhawk?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQD-Mark-1-Type-E,1246,37.htm

Shadow - which would you recommend:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519275

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=886565

thanks guys!!!! :cheer:

Crap I might get both!
Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence
Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think." Thomas A. Edison
Stitch
Continuing Member

Postby Shadow on Sat 09 Jul, 2011 12:55 am

Stitch wrote:Shadow - which would you recommend:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=886565

Crap I might get both!

Stitch - Definitely, the one at the above link, is the one I would recommend, BUT..... Get both, if you also like the other one, since they are really designed for two types of uses. You can never have TOO MANY knives... :cheer:

In case you didn't know...
Carbon Steel: While this material will rust, many cutlery manufacturers use epoxy coating, bluing, Parkerizing or molecularly bonded materials to provide a measure of protection from staining and oxidation.

The 1095 Carbon Steel used to make the K-Bar is extremely tough and is often used in hardworking knives, swords, hatchets and axes. In addition to blade steel use, 1095 carbon steel can be found in trunk springs, files and road grader blades. It's a simple steel, but one that can handle substantial mishandling and still provide excellent service. Plus it's easier to tune up the edge and resists "edge chipping" like other harder steels. Also doesn't chip in very cold weather, like other steels.

A K-Bar is intended to be "well used" - wearing off the finish, etc. is a GOOD thing. The more "used" the knife looks, the better, just adds character, IMO. Since the coating will wear off with use, get used to keeping the blade oiled with 3in1 Oil, or similar - then it wont rust when in the sheath for long periods of time.

Lastly, the leather sheath that comes with the K-Bar(s) are kinda cheap. [Not like in the olden days.] Since the K-Bar will last a lifetime (with reasonable care), I'd take it (knife & sheath) to a leather shop and have them make you a 1st class "heavy" (thick leather) sheath, in a carry configuration that makes sense to you. The "custom" leather sheath may cost more than the knife, but you can get more K-Bars and use the same "custom sheath". BTW - Slick leather on the outside, Rough Side on the inside of the sheath. A top of the line HEAVY leather sheath, with heavy stitching and brass rivets, will last you a 100 years and look (ahem) really cool.

I soak the inside of my leather sheath(s) with oil to keep the blade protected. Not TOO much oil, just enough to keep the inside of the sheath from drying out. As to the best sharpening method for keeping an edge on the knife - Google is your friend. I personally use a Washita Stone and an Arkansas Stone (both with oil) to dress up the edge, when needed.

Oh yeah, if you are interested in "custom" sheaths, the below link will give you some ideas. I've had this gent make me a few sheaths over the years. The variations are endless, plus the quality is top notch.

http://www.armoralleather.com/carry_types.htm
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow
Continuing Member

Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Barrett1 on Mon 11 Jul, 2011 9:04 am

Stitch wrote:Kevin - did you get that knife from blackhawk?

Incoming PM.
Barrett1

Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby LeoAtrox on Tue 12 Jul, 2011 9:14 am

I'm curious what you would consider "tactical" and what you would consider "utility"? What use would this get? Is this for outdoor survival, or urban EDC/survival? And in what area?

There is a nearly infinite selection of knives out there, and it really depends on what you want. I'd love to participate in this discussion as I've recently taken an interest in knives for outdoor survival use; but "tactical" and "utility" are rather ambiguous terms, and there is no one knife that will do everything well.
"Stupid can happen anywhere at any time; so you best be prepared for it."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Semper fidelis
LeoAtrox
Continuing Member

Postby Stitch on Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:11 pm

Shadow and Kevin great info! Thanks for all the good advice and knowledge.

Leo - i think the kabar sums up nicely what I am looking for. A knife i can use on and around the farm and campsite but would benefit me well in a SHTF moment for basic self defense and survival. I do like Kevins example for discrete EDC his is very similar to the blackhawk i have linked to above.

I have always wanted an XSF-1 knife that is the perfect tactical/utility know sadly i cant find one for sale anymore.

Let me know if you have any other helpful tips or products.
:cheer:
Stitch
Continuing Member

Postby REDEYE40 on Tue 08 Apr, 2014 11:58 pm

microtech jagdcommando
REDEYE40
Poster

Favorite Firearm: M107A1-M99
Favorite Ammo: raufossmk211mod0-amax-m903

Postby REDEYE40 on Wed 09 Apr, 2014 12:04 am

BUCK 393 IN CASE YOU NEED THE MOST COMFTABLE HANDLE IN WORLD
LINDER SCORPION IN CASE YOUR LOOKING FOR BEST THROWING KNIFE :roll:
REDEYE40
Poster

Postby shotgun on Wed 09 Apr, 2014 12:23 pm

I am with Shadow, You can't beat the K bar I have at least 10 of them- one in every vehicle, one in every pack etc. great knives at a great price! :cheer:
"What part of Shall not be infringed don't you understand ?"
shotgun

Favorite Firearm: M82A-1 and Desert Eagle
Favorite Ammo: Home cooked 750A-max

Postby REDEYE40 on Thu 10 Apr, 2014 3:15 am

i agree,k bar is a beautiful knife.
REDEYE40
Poster