Full Length Size .338 brass?

Make it Yourself

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Full Length Size .338 brass?

Postby jaxdilation on Fri 29 Jul, 2011 8:25 am

I've read some suggestions that FL sizing 338 Lapua will
shorten case life vs a bushing die, with occasional FL sizing.

I'm starting to reload .338LM and wonder what you more experienced
folks do. If its a busing die, can you tell me the make and bushing
size it would help. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm using Lapua Brass if that matters.

John
jaxdilation

NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Full Length Size .338 brass?

Postby flyjets on Sun 31 Jul, 2011 1:24 am

Funny U should ask this.

Competition shooters used to just resize the necks to save the Brass life "old theory"

These days most guys are full length resizing but the are just slightly bumping the shoulder to get smooth bolt closure.

Todate I have over 14 reloads on 338 Lapua Cases with no problems and I am running them hard.

Ian
Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
flyjets

Favorite Firearm: 1874 Sharps
Favorite Ammo: Lapua

Postby Zebinator on Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:32 am

Hey Ian, I'm having some issues with some once fired brass I bought from Barretts store. It's mostly Norma brass and some Lapua brand. After full length resizing the cases just by themselves chamber very hard and are even harder to eject. I'm noticing a rub/scratch mark on the shoulder of these particular brass. What would you suggest I do at this point? Will firing them in my rifle form them so that they won't chamber hard anymore?

I have 100 Lapua brand cases that I've fired and reloaded already and they chamber just fine. Also forgot to mention the rifle is a 98B. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zeb
Zebinator
Active Poster

Favorite Firearm: M98B and M82a1
Favorite Ammo: Reloads for all my weapons

Postby flyjets on Mon 29 Aug, 2011 8:49 pm

Try Annealing the Necks it's possible the Brass is springing back after full length resizing.

I run my 338 Lapua very hard and I also have to Trim the cases after every firing because of the pressure I am running.

Ian
flyjets

Postby Zebinator on Wed 31 Aug, 2011 11:17 am

Nice! That's a great idea! I'll do that even though I found out what my problem was. And DAM I should be ashamed of myself. When I set up the full length sizer I forgot to bring the press ram down a bit and give the die another 1/8 of a turn so the cam would lock in. I tried a couple of shells that wouldn't cycle well in the rifle and after resizing with the PROPER set up they worked great. But the annealing should make them even better. Thanks for the info!

Zeb
Zebinator
Active Poster

Postby flyjets on Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:08 pm

Zeb

Sinclair International sells a shoulder Bump Gage Inserts are used to measure the amount of shoulder bump when setting up full length sizing dies. Our Bump Gages install in either of our comparator bodies and are machined to fit particular shoulder angles of cartridges. Rather than measuring to the datum line, these gages indicate off of the shoulder of the case to get a better, more easily assessable measurement of how much you are actually sizing your cases. We usually recommend between .001" to .002" bump for bolt action rifles and between .003" and .005" for AR15 type rifles. Also a useful tool for keeping your brass and loaded ammunition separated if you have multiple rifles chambered for the same cartridge and checking loaded ammunition. See chart for ordering, consult your sales representative for cartridges not listed.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... age_Insert

I think you will find this makes for a very precise setup of the resizing die.

I have to bump my case back to 2.190 this is where the Blase action works best in my case.

Ian
flyjets

Postby Zebinator on Tue 13 Sep, 2011 10:57 am

Thank you sir! This will be something I'll incorporate into my operations. Thanks!
Zebinator
Active Poster

Postby Zebinator on Fri 30 Dec, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi Ian, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Ok, I went through a batch of my loads, pulled the bullets, re-sized the shells after re-adjusting my sizer die and reloaded them. They load and unload(still with bullet) very smoothly. YAY!! Here's my problem...after FIRING these they jam up like crazy. So bad that I have to pound on my bolt handle to get them out. I don't like doing this to a $4500 gun so I'll be pulling the bullets on the rest of these rounds. These rounds Ian are loaded with 300 grn. Sierra BTHP, WLRM primers and 103 gr of Hodgdon US869 powder. Now, here's something else that is strange, with this same load in LAPUA brand brass that I bought brand new, the brass ejects fine with one coming out hard once in a blue moon. The brass that is getting stuck in my gun is all once fired brass from BARRETT. It's a mix of NORMA and LAPUA brand but they are all doing the same thing with this set up. What am I missing here? The one thing that I can noticably see that is different from the once fired stuff versus my newer Lapua stuff is the shoulder angle is steeper on my newer stuff. Makes sense but I don't understand why it's moving THAT much when fired and getting stuck. Since they get resized they go in and out just fine with a bullet seated or not. It's only after firing. Could my charge be too high for these? The max charge for this powder and bullet is 104 grains. What would you recommend? Any help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Zeb
Zebinator
Active Poster

Postby Zebinator on Wed 11 Jan, 2012 8:37 pm

So a quick follow up to this is that my rifle needs to go back to Barrett for them to work on the chamber. Apparently the technician thinks it's a little tighter than it should be. Finally a solution to this problem! 8-)
Zebinator
Active Poster

Return to Reloading