Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: 98B, 82A1, 1911 TRP
Favorite Ammo: Hornady A-Max & V-Max

Prairie Dogg'in 2011

Postby Bad Rat » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 6:23 pm

P-Dogg'in Trip to South Dakota...

Guns ready:

We loaded up the Semi and Racecar Hauler for the trip:

Farthest measured confirmed kill. 438 Yards, CZ 527 Varminter .204 Ruger, Nikon M223 Scope. 4 MOA Elevation Correction and 2 3/4 MOA Windage.

First Rattle Snake of the trip. Mossberg 500 Homeland Defender, 00 Buck Shot.

First kill shot with a new CZ 550 Varminter 22-250, Nightforce NSX 3.5-15 x 50mm. I think this was around 200 yards. I spent 2 days and 80 rounds trying to break this Barrel a few weeks before. The thing would not group at all after 5 shoots. The Barrel would Copper Fowel and it would lose its group. I was ready to take a hack saw to it...but man that gun came around out there. Shoot over 200 rounds through it only cleaning it a days end.

Second Rattle Snake. I had just shot a Coyote at about 375 yards. He spun around and ran over the hill into the tall grass. We decided to go check it out and came across this guy on the way up the hill. This time I left the "Machine" (head) in tact. He was still trying to bite us.

My buddy had to keep it's body from wiggling away. Headless I guess they still move around for up to 8 hours from what the guys were telling me.

After many trips back and forth between Dog Towns we finally got smart and set the Table up in the back of the Truck to shoot from. Took no time at all to move to tthe next spot.

On the last day there I got the 50 out to let the "Newbies" have a turn behind the trigger. The 50 is the worst Gun to P-Dog shoot with. After the first pull of the trigger all the Dogs go down. They must know whats coming.

Our target was the small tree between the 2 larger trees. 508 yards.

Newbie No. 1. Karl loved it. It think he took 10 shots after all was said and done.

Newbie No. 2. "Dave 2" liked the gun but said he is more in the market for something like my CZ's. His Bushmaster AR-15 just wasn't cutting it as a P-Dog Gun. He got frustrated and the less than 2 MOA accuracy.

My spotter and Brother-in-law, a veteran of the 50 squeezed off a few rounds. He spotted Dogs for me the whole time we were there and never took a shot.

Of course I couldn't pass up taking a few more shots.

It was a great rip with a great bunch of guys. 400+ Dog's, 2 Rattle Snakes and 1 Coyote!!!
"Safety" "yea I heard of it. It's that mechanism on the side of a Gun to keep you from shooting people you like".

"Talked to GA Precision yesterday. Conversation basically went straight to "Credit Card Number please"...Gun should be ready in about 4-6 weeks."

User avatarHognuts
Valued Member

Re: Prairie Dogg'in 2011

Postby Hognuts » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 9:08 pm

Nicely done sir! I miss that about living up there. We used to make a pretty regular trip to a ranch outside of town and put a hurt' n on some prairie dog towns.

Return to Hunting