sherbs
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: AR Based

99's Rail Length

Postby sherbs » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 3:11 pm

The only thing I dislike on the 99 is the length of the top scope rail. I would love to put on a carry handle or try the rifle with AR style rail sights. Any options? A sling option would also have been a nice addition. After being in the same FFL loction for 22 years you listen to the people that put the bread on you table, and a sale was lost due to these little items!

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: 99's Rail Length

Postby Shadow » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 5:40 pm

sherbs wrote:The only thing I dislike on the 99 is the length of the top scope rail. I would love to put on a carry handle or try the rifle with AR style rail sights. Any options? A sling option would also have been a nice addition. After being in the same FFL loction for 22 years you listen to the people that put the bread on you table, and a sale was lost due to these little items!

Due to the DESIGN of the rifle, I can't imagine how the length of the top scope rail would be changed to have BUIS and a scope fitted. Looking at mine, for example (see next pic), it would seem the only way to put "iron sights" on the rail would be simply remove the scope and configure the rifle with iron sights.

As far as a carry handle, I'd submit the balance point for any of the M99's would conflict with any mounted scope. But, if the rifle was fitted with JUST iron sights, then a carry handle could be fitted.

As far as a "sling option" - I use a MG sling to carry mine (see below). Doesn't your M99's have the front and rear sling attachments?

It would seem that anyone with a M99 in front of them could come to the same conclusions, without too much frustation (or need to vent).

ImageImageImageImage

sherbs

Postby sherbs » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks Shawdow, I will look at the gun Monday to see about the sling points, that was not the main concern of the customer, it was the rail. The fact that a couple of dollars more of matrial to extend the length of receiver by 3 or 4 inchs would have expanded the use of the gun . Some shooters, self included like a long sight picture. I never did give the balance point a thought, but the customer wanted to use the gun with open sights so that what not a big concern, the handle was an after thought. You can not ask for a nicer rifle for scope use but with the short rail design it is limited.

sherbs

Postby sherbs » Sun 13 Nov, 2011 3:20 pm

Shawdow, Bugged me on how I missed the sling points so I opened the shop up and took a look. I guess they wanted to save money because the 99 in the shop Does Not Have your sling cutouts. The rifle came in from Barrett in Oct., something new maybe? I would love to hear the reason from Barrett so I can pass the info to the customer!

User avatarShadow
Continuing Member
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Sun 13 Nov, 2011 5:57 pm

sherbs wrote:Shawdow, Bugged me on how I missed the sling points so I opened the shop up and took a look. I guess they wanted to save money because the 99 in the shop Does Not Have your sling cutouts. The rifle came in from Barrett in Oct., something new maybe? I would love to hear the reason from Barrett so I can pass the info to the customer!

Hmmmm, that clears it up... :mrgreen:

Seems like the other 99s NEVER had them.... I checked my old manual and it seems as though the ONLY M99 with the sling attachment points was the M99H (Hunter model w/25" fluted barrrel). That kinda sucks, I guess. I just assumed all the M99s had the two sling attachment points.

But, by looking at both schematics, it would seem that the M99H rear butt plate insert (part # 99304); along with the 2 M99H longer screws (part # 99338 to replace the screws, part # 82038) could be ordered to provide the "rear" sling attachment point. Then one could drill and tap a hole in the front part of the rifle (part # 99200) and screw in a quick release attachment point for the "front" sling attachment point.

That would seem to be a fix for the other M99s, but before ordering the parts, etc., I'd give Barrett a call to be sure the screw pitch is the same for the two different screw sets (mentioned above).

I do know my sling is really handy for lugging the rifle around. Maybe other M99 owners have affixed slings using other solutions, that are simplier or more elegant. :det:

Here are the different schematics for both M99 configurations. I'd guess the M99 one still matches what is currently being produce...

ImageImageImageImage

Return to Model 99